Giving Students Control of their Learning

This weeks reading around student-centered learning and making sure we give students control of their learning was really insightful in ways I would like to bring that into my classroom. Here are some of the questions that I had from those:

A question for my future students:

What do you want to learn in our ag class? What was your favorite class ever and why?

A question for my cooperating teacher and university supervisor:

How do you give students ownership and creativity in what and how they are learning?

A question for my cohort:

How do we build in "flex" time for students who do not understand content/time for them to be more creative while still staying on track and keeping students who are learning faster engaged?


Comments

  1. Great question for the cohort Lacey. That's a tough one. I think it would be a real struggle to engage students in the same class if some are doing really well while some are struggling. I think one way to engage all students here is to have those who are doing well work with those struggling. For example, in AEE 350, Dylan really excels. When we were in the shop, he was the first to finish his project, and then he stayed engaged by working with and teaching the rest of us. I think that would help them stay on track. As far as creativity, by allowing students flex time to work on their own, I think you eliminate the "track". Students can learn at their own pace as they dive into their own interests without the added pressure of deadlines. They can set their own learning goals in that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning Objectives

Setting Expectations and Standing Your Ground

Our Students Matter