Our Students Matter

After watching the two ted talks, reading about instructional planing, and diving into different e-moments  it gave me a lot to think about in regards to student teaching and here are some of my questions:

A question for my future school administrators...

How do you intentionally create a learning environment where students know they matter, feel valued, and feel heard?

As a school is this mainly put on the teachers or how to you try as entire faculty to make students feel valued, because while it is a goal for all schools and teachers (I hope) it definitely can take conscious effort.

A question for my cooperating teacher and university supervisor...

Which is your favorite e-moment to use and/or which one do you use most often?

Ideally, these would be rotated through and used in different times with varying needs, however, I would love to hear if there is one that you have found to be very success or that you use and why you feel that one has worked. 

A question for my cohort...

How do we, as young teachers, create an environment where students feel their voice matters and they are heard without letting them dictate everything or overpowering you as the teacher?

I feel like this is one of the classroom management concerns I have, after listening to the Ted Talks it even more clear how important it for students to feel valued, but how can I ensure I balance authority and openness with students. I want student to feel open in my classroom to be themselves and feel that their voice matters but still have respect for me, my classroom, classmates, and the school. There is no lesson plan I could write to prepare me for that so how do we balance that?

Comments

  1. Love the questions here Lacey! To provide some comments to the question posed to the cohort, I think it starts with reflecting on what encouraged us as students. If we ask ourselves "what did we need to hear?" and reflect on moments that helped us gain confidence in the classroom, that can be a great springboard for us to take personal action ourselves. One immediate idea I have though is giving students time every few weeks to share about an interest of theirs and how it relates to the course. This gives students a way to share their passion, and can help them to speak to personal experiences throughout the rest of the course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lacey! I LOVED the e-moments resource that was given to use so I like your question to your CT. To offer some thoughts to your question to the cohort, I feel like mutual respect goes a long way when it comes to high school students. While the fear of being overpowered in the classroom is real, I think that empowering our students gives them a reason to trust us and, in many cases, grows respect.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning Objectives

Setting Expectations and Standing Your Ground