The First Day of School BUT at home

 This week was different. COVID is a thing. And a thing I got. So this week instead of tackling my first day of school lab at class with my peers, I completed this task at home in front of my iPAD. 

I was able to record my snap shot of a lab at home which was nice that I was able to still complete the assignment, but was definitely more difficult when there was no audience. I completed my lesson plan with a this or that interest approach, a get to know me presentation, student interest engagement, and review of the syllabus and expectations. 

In my snap shot I focused on the student and teacher introductions so it started with the this or that interest approach. Basically, I gave students a prompt with two options and that has to pick a side of the room based on the option they chose. I think this could be helpful to just get the students moving and have low stakes activity for students to build connections. When I demonstrated this activity I did not allow time to discuss choices but when I do this in the classroom  I would allow time for student to discuss choices with one another and have potential follow up questions, as well. Next, I went into a presentation about me and in the future I would like to think about ways I could make this more interactive for my students, I tried to make it better with pictures and balancing professionalism with fun stories. The last thing I did in my snapshot was to give out a form for students to fill out about them personally and their interest. Thinking about the future, I thinking making some type of more interactive activity for students to participate in. Since I will have some 46 minutes periods and some 96 minute periods, in the longer periods I may add in an activity rather just a form. However, I do want my students to fill out some sort of form so I can have it as a reference point. 

Going forward, I think I learned that things are going to take more time than I think potentially. While I did keep the interest approach short in my snap shot that may take up to 10 minutes or more if I spend the time to make it more worth while. Another thing, that I want to consider as I go forward in the classroom is the more I make things interactive, chances are the better, but depending on the group I will need to adjust some activities. 

Comments

  1. Hey Lacey, I hope you are feeling better and we missed you this week! I think having a student interest form will be very beneficial for us as teachers to refer back to from time to time. I also need to work on making my lessons more interactive and engaging for the students so that they are getting out of their chairs and collaborating together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning Objectives

Setting Expectations and Standing Your Ground

Our Students Matter