Inquiry Institute

The past few weeks feel like a complete blur, but one of the really cool things that we got to do was the Penn State Inquiry Institute. Jessica Grundy, Utah ag teacher, came in and taught us all about ways to integrate inquiry style teaching into our classrooms. It was really cool to see a different spin on teaching some very basic things that I plan to take into my student teaching. While I sometimes get into to this funk and do not know how to teach things creatively and this sparked a lot of ideas to spice up my units. 

One thing that I liked and appreciated was the idea and value of lab notebooks. I don't see my whole classroom being centered around lab notebooks, but I do see that playing a role in some of my units. For example, my unit assessment for small gas engines is their labs notebook and seeing this role played a different way was helpful in thinking about how I want to set my lab notebooks up. 

Another section I enjoyed was the foldable and the growing cow digestive system. I learn better when I can see something and I feel like many students do as well, so giving them something like this would be helpful. Also, using foldable in my classroom I think can and will be a fun way to add in an interactive piece and an opportunity for my students to get more reps with material. 

My favorite thing I took from this institute was the estrous party activity. I had been thinking about how I wanted to teach this and like could not find any fun ways that made sense to me, but this was a great way fun way for students to remember this. I am very excited to try this in my classroom. 



Looking into some different literacy strategies, on that really stuck out to me was games. first, I love games and may be a tad bit competitive, but so do students. Just like we discussed in 412 when we were talking about the principle of interests and how competition sparks interest. I think it is a really go way to get students involved and excited about topics. Especially, when used in the right way, games can be an extremely useful tool in the classroom. 



Comments

  1. Hi Lacey. I also really liked the Estrous Party activity and am excited to use it in a classroom. One aspect of the party that Riley and I were talking about however would be how popping balloons might not be allowed in certain schools or around students who may have anxiety or PTSD. Just something to keep in mind so all of our students feel safe in our classrooms!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning Objectives

Setting Expectations and Standing Your Ground

Our Students Matter